Peter Musante works at the nexus of immersive theater, dance, music and technology to invent unique performance-based experiences that transform space and create community.
His approach, as both a creator and an educator, is highly physical and focuses on discovering new points of connection that allow us to celebrate the complexity, and diversity, of human experience.
In 2018, Peter founded the UP CLOSE Festival for which he currently serves as Artistic Producer. Instigated as an experiment in using immersive theater to directly engage young people with the histories of the spaces they inhabit, UP CLOSE repurposes Jane Jacobs' rules for a healthy community as a unique form of embodied learning and hyperlocal theater.
His original works have toured internationally and are created collaboratively with a diverse group of artists - most notably Andrew Schneider (YOUARENOWHERE - OBIE Award), and Trusty Sidekick Theater Co. (Lincoln Center, Park Ave Armory, Abrons Art Center) where he is a frequent collaborator. Peter is a former artist in residence at The Brooklyn Navy Yard (Fixed Agency), a cast member of Blue Man Group (Astor Place Theater) and has developed new work with Geoff Sobelle, Yanira Castro, Adrienne Kapstein, and Bluemouth Inc. Peter studied at UCLA and Brooklyn College's PIMA (Performance & Interactive Media Arts) program. He is a proud Clinical Skill Trainer for Medical programs across NYC and has the greatest dog in the universe, Palo. Peter was born and raised in San Mateo, California
• Summer/Fall 2020 - Sally Forth, Lincoln Center Education commission for young people on the autism spectrum, in development with Trusty Sidekick Theater Co. (role: 1-on-1 Experience Director)
• Summer/Fall 2020 - UP CLOSE / FAR OUT virtual community-based workshops in progress
• Spring 2020 - Planetary Census, a participatory Zoom-based performance premieres with Trusty Sidekick Theater Co.
• Winter 2020 - Cafe Sarajevo international premiere at Singapore M1Festival with Bluemouth Inc.
• Summer 2019 - Proxy, a new community work-in-progress begins development in Brooklyn.
• Summer 2019 - Andrew Schneider's YOUARENOWHERE, tours Barcelona, Spain.